Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Pilgrims

My mom called tonight to check in, a weekly ritual that confirms that I'm still a bad son who never calls home. (Untrue! Well, sort of...) An excerpt:

Mom: I just know that it can be hard for you to drive here for Christmas and Thanksgiving.
Stanley: Yeah, I mean, it's only an hour, but given my work schedule, it can be challenging.
Mom: Well, just know that, if you'd ever rather have us up there for Thanksgiving or Christmas, that'd be fine by us.

...

I interpreted this as a suggestion that I should be hosting my immediate family for at least one of these holidays, which was wholly surprising. At many a family holiday event, I still end up at the kiddie table (and I love it; you can totally play with your food there and no one cares).

The suggestion that I host a Major-Holiday Family Dinner was an indication that I had leap-frogged the whole kiddie-table-to-grown-up-table transition, and was now expected to have turkey and a clean house and an actual passion for the holiday at-hand. Which just seemed weird.

Yet: my mom is super-busy with a new job, so I'm inclined to call her back and invite them all here for Thanksgiving. 'Cause I know I can host a good dinner party as well as anyone. Thoughts?

6 Comments:

Blogger StLmom said...

Stanley -- you must do Turkey Day. There's something about holding a holiday on your own turf that makes it oh-so-much better. You'll love playing grownup to your folks. It's a lot of work but the payoff is great -- and you get to stay in your own place, not the twin bed with the Batman sheets you slept in when you were a kid.

25/10/06 8:37 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Thanks for the encouragement, StLmom. I'll certainly do a follow-up post if I try to host such an event.

25/10/06 12:47 PM  
Blogger heidi said...

as long as me and jon and caroline can come and drink 40s and chainsmoke on the back porch before turning up built to spill all the way and dancing in the living room. tell your mom to bring the pot, though.

27/10/06 6:17 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

I would expect no less. And what with all the cooking we'll be doing, I'm sure we'll need several pots, silly.

27/10/06 6:25 PM  
Blogger LC said...

omg! I'm hosting my family (of 11) for Thanksgiving this year. You should do it, too, and then we can have super exclusive conversations about hosting a major holiday feast that none of our less mature friends know anything about. omg!

27/10/06 9:25 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

You know, LC, we could combine our efforts into one big megafeast. But I suspect your family is as crazy as mine. Somebody might get hurt.

Oh, and I think it's been codified that my brother be naked when in the presence of >5 people. Which might get uncomfortable.

28/10/06 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home