Thursday, January 10, 2008

The One Where They Build A House

Finally, causing an overwhelmingly genuine excitement from friends and random dudes at parties, I have "gotten into" Arrested Development. It took me all of Season 1, and was spurred because, previous to AD, I "got into" The Office. And yesterday I received great bear hug man love from buddies and knowing looks from females, looks saying kind of "I knew you were smart, and now I have proof" - all just for admitting that the show is "funny" and that I'm "looking forward" to Season 2 (which everybody pities me for the fact that I have not yet seen, but they are patient).

Mentioning you're a beginner AD viewer prompts, from apparently every TV watcher in Charlottesville, massive well-scripted tirades on jokes hidden beneath scenes, three-year running gags, leftism on Fox TV, and Michael Cera being the funniest thing since that time when my friend was swinging a Katana around and hit himself in the balls, then vomited, then passed out. I never knew this, but people do not consider you to be a complete human being unless you agree with them about their theories on the Bluthe Family Banana Stand.

Now I'm told I need to "get into" Flight of the Conchords, not only because it would be good research for New Zealand, where I will be living for the next four months, but because the show is "badass funny." True? Is there an entire world of TV DVDs awaiting Ryan, even though he doesn't own a TV? I need your advice on how to entertain myself next.

9 Comments:

Blogger ||| said...

[raspy whisper]....i've made a huuuuge mistake....

10/1/08 3:17 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

I failed to get into Arrested Development and have thus encountered the inverse of the reacion you describe: everyone thinks I'm a moron.

FOTC is funny, but it's character-driven, so you have to give it a bit of time. (This may be true of AD, too, and if so, I simply didn't give it enough time.)

You should also be watching The Wire if you're not already.

Finally, can't you watch DVDs on your laptop?

11/1/08 11:14 AM  
Blogger ||| said...

...Is there an entire world of TV DVDs awaiting Ryan, even though he doesn't own a TV? I need your advice...

one word: sopranos

11/1/08 12:32 PM  
Blogger ||| said...

and Stan, you really MUST get into AD. You'd identify most with GOB. Or maybe Buster.

11/1/08 12:42 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Stan: Yes, I can (and do) watch DVDs using *my* laptop. I'm worried, though, about whether I'll be able to effectively power my iBook with whatever power adapter I have to buy to make three prongs work in NZ. Also, I'm worried that they use, like, minidiscs, and not DVDs.

11/1/08 12:57 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Well, NZ is in DVD Region 4, so be careful about buying DVDs over there. I'm not sure your computer will play them, and they certainly won't play on any US-bought DVD player unless they're Region 1. (Note: it is possible for a disc to be multiregion.)

Minidisc is all but dead, save for a few muicians, oh, and, like, all of NPR's reporters.

11/1/08 1:10 PM  
Blogger eekbeat said...

Ryan, the plug adapter most likely will work. You just run the risk of blowing out your laptop. (However, that seems to be closer to rare than closer to often, lucky you!) And yes, you can buy universal DVDs, and I think this is the best course of action. Does Netflix serve NZ? And start saying YIS. You'll blend in more. And I would go to a petting zoo and get really comfortable with sheep.

11/1/08 3:28 PM  
Blogger ||| said...

ryan,
you can change your DVD region up to like 5 times on a macbook. i think.

so you could watch like, New Zealander rentals, but you'll have to switch it back to watch our western region 1 DVDs again.

11/1/08 3:34 PM  
Blogger LC said...

Ryan, just because you tell people that *your* laptop declared emancipation from its original owner, don't start thinking that's actually true. Because, if you blow out *your* laptop, I'm going to fucking kill you...or, demand that you get me a new one on ebay.

*my

13/1/08 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home