Sunday, September 03, 2006

Ready or Not

Ernesto was kind to my garden, offering much-needed rain without ravaging the remaining peppers, tomatoes, and watermelon plants(!). In fact, this one came out just yesterday:



It's my first time growing watermelon, and I've gotten plenty of advice:
  • "Lots of water"
  • "Don't turn it or move it"
  • "Knock on it; when it's hollow, it's done"

I followed this advice closely, though I don't really know where to draw the line between hollow and not-hollow. I decided this watermelon was ready, because the bottom was white and showing some very early signs of rotting. Surely, rotting=past-ripe, yes?

No:


Fucking hell. Not ready (or hollow-sounding, apparently).

The upshot is, I just came across this little guy:

He (or is it a she? I'm no good at sexing melons) will be getting the regimine described on NPR by a record-setting watermelon farmer: lots of water and one quarter-turn daily.

I'll keep you posted on this pressing and most-important matter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stanley said...

Dammit, why is this so confusing?

This guy says hollow = ripe. But this site suggests its tone, not hollowness:

The "tone" of the watermelon indicates ripeness. Lift the melon carefully and slap with a cupped hand. If the tone is high-pitched, the watermelon is not yet ripe. If it is low- pitched, it is too ripe. A medium-pitched tone indicates a ripe watermelon. Experience will teach the proper tones.

6/9/06 6:57 PM  
Blogger t(h)om said...

sexing melons

8/9/06 11:06 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Can this be your new Smashing Pumpkins coverband's name, t(h)om?

8/9/06 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home