Friday, January 26, 2007

I Open Doors

First, fie on you, google. I was quite enjoying the old blogger, and now you forced me to "upgrade." You nefarious knave. That said, I logged in to tell a story.

******

When I was a wee lad, I would get excited about telling something to my mom. Sometimes, as happens to many, I would forget what I was going to say.

"Must've been a lie," my mom would say with a wry smile.

"NOooo!" six-year-old me would protest. "It was true!!!"

In very short order, this exchange came to be a running joke, and mom and I still break it out now and again for nostalgic amusement. Ha! we laugh. So silly, we.

Nowadays, I sometimes use my mom's line with people unfamiliar with the backstory.

"Dang! I forgot what I was going to say," a person might say.

"Must've been a lie!" I retort, shit-eating grin on my face.

Unfortunately, this line tends not to go over well, and most people are surprised to learn that my dear and loving mother would say such a thing to an impressionable young six-year-old. What can I say? We're a sarcastic bunch, we Stanley-family types.

Which reminded me: my mom used to have a nickname for me, based on my middle name, which is also my monicker on this here weblog.

Her nickname for me?

"Stanley Garage-Door Opener."

5 Comments:

Blogger bitchphd said...

"Must've been a lie" is among the heinous things I say to my own impressionable six-year old.

26/1/07 1:39 AM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Yeah I'm surprised people take offense -- that seems like a pretty common line to me.

26/1/07 10:16 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Did she say this before or after she bought you lollies from ye olde candy shoppe down the street?

26/1/07 10:31 AM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Weird -- "anacreon" was me. (Probably happened on the post below this one too.)

26/1/07 12:07 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

BPh.D. - see, and I turned out fine; no worries.

Beth - after the lollies, obviously. The sugar high made me lose my short-term. Well, the sugar high and the drugs she made me smoke.

TMK: yeah, I was surprised, too. It's happened a few times. As for the name funkiness, I blame blogger (read: google). Done me wrong already...

26/1/07 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home