Friday, January 19, 2007

Putting CDs in the microwave rules

My brother makes bombs. And I'm not saying this out of familial pride, but my brother, who makes bombs that get put on the wings of fighter jets that kill baddies, makes THE BEST BOMBS (YOUR) MONEY CAN BUY. He's a good bombmaker. He is paid well.

For Christmas, he got me a $40 gift card to Barnes & Noble. Usually, people get you gift cards when they have no idea what kind of things you like, or when they're too lazy. In my brother's case, however, he got me the gift card because he was too busy perfecting weapons that will protect you and your children's children's puppy's puppies.

With that gift card, I got Sirens of Titan (our new book club book), Don Quixote, and Starbucks coffee.

I don't know what wOOT means, but I thought I'd end this post with
wOOT

7 Comments:

Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Did you get the excellent Edith Grossman translation of Quixote? Sirens of Titan is a total blast from the past -- I can hardly remember it except for its being good stuff, and the most science-fictiony of Vonnegut's major works. Did you know Jerry Garcia tried to produce a film version?

20/1/07 4:46 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

I don't know what translation Ryan got of Quixote, and chances are he won't be checking the internet until some time around Easter.

But wow, Wiki says that Al Franken was involved with the Sirens of Titan movie project. I wonder why it never came to fruition.

20/1/07 5:01 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Yeah, he probably got the Grossman translation; I reckon that's what Barnes & Noble would be selling. And a good thing too! It is a fine translation.

20/1/07 7:16 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

(Take the word of someone who has watched Slaughterhouse-5; movie versions of Vonnegut novels are a bad, bad idea.)

20/1/07 7:17 PM  
Blogger Lew said...

Surely he must have had a premonition about your book club aspirations. What a wonderful brother and a great American hero.

21/1/07 12:23 AM  
Blogger t(h)om said...

how does a person join this club of books? are there, like, meetings or something?

21/1/07 8:46 AM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

how does a person join this club of books?

Well obviously one can't join if one is not a book... Otherwise it would be a people club.

21/1/07 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home