Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Super Energy Booster!

Some things::::
- LC and I drove to Nashville this past weekend. One of the highlights was a wedding reception that took place in a half-sized, scale model of the Parthenon, complete with a 41 foot gold statue of Athena, replicas of the broken statues that line the front of the original, an art gallery with green walls, and a free photo booth. Another highlight was a naked cowboy playing guitar and singing on the street. Nashville is sweet. We watched live country music at 11 in the morning, while drinking beer, in a packed bar. Again, Nashville is sweet.

- I just finished Don Quixote, which is sweet, but in a way so different than Nashville that it hardly seems appropriate that I would use the same word to describe each thing, but I did. There is a humor and worldview in Quixote that I have maybe never encountered anywhere else. (Note to modesto: my translation was by Tobias Smollet, edited by Carole Slade, and both of them did a sweet job.)

- More on reading: Whenever LC and I travel via car, we read to each other from The Uncensored Oral History of Punk which, like Nashville and Cervantes and Smollet and Slade, is sweet. Punk is sweet in a sex, drugs, venereal disease, sex, drugs, drugs, sex, stabbing, sex, drugs, rock and roll kind of way. And while I can't say that I can name more than 3 Ramones songs, I sure know a lot about their trysts with homosexuality.

- Do something nice to your neighbor today.

3 Comments:

Blogger LC said...

For whatever reason, Ryan will not admit that it's a FULL SCALE model of the Parthenon. To prove, without a doubt, that it is not a mini...Nashville Parthenon.

8/3/07 11:49 AM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Sweet.

9/3/07 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orato Editor, Heather Wallace, interviewed the Naked Cowboy recently and, trust me, you don’t want to miss what he told her. For example, he revealed that he was turned down by both Star Search and American Idol and he truly believes that he’ll watch generation after generation pass before his eyes: “Worst case scenario, I’ll live to be 500 years old,” he says.

Read the full article here:

“The Tao of the Naked Cowboy”
http://www.orato.com/node/2061

4/4/07 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home