Sunday, November 25, 2007

Knee Jerk

My post-Thanksgiving weekend festivities included a wedding and the attendant reception, which was held at the Officer's Club of an Army base. I didn't really know anyone (bride was a high-school friend of eek's), but with a little help from my sidekick Red Wine, I made some fast friends, including an enlisted guy who had just returned from Iraq. He was very interesting and seemed unannoyed by my many questions about the military and what's going on Over There.

I tend, at weddings, to always end up talking to the other guests about weddings in-general—it's the one subject we all definitely have in common, right? This tendency makes me feel sort of lame, but, hey, small talk.

This wedding was a pretty traditional one (they said "man and wife," for example), but one tradition strike me as new and, quite possibly, extracted from the DJ's rear end.

After the toss of the bouquet and the garter belt, the DJ called up the girl who caught the former and said, "There is one more tradition we haven't mentioned. It is said that for every inch above the knee that he can get the garter belt, it's another year's good luck for the bride and groom."

The dude who caught the garter belt—he, all of maybe eighteen—then pranced around doing a mock seductive dance and then proceeded to slip the garter belt on the leg of the girl who had caught the bouquet, as she sat there uncomfortably. WTF?!

Squick. Squick. Squick.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Garter belt? Huh? This is a wedding tradition with which I am unfamiliar. I get that the bride tosses her bouquet and whichever of her maids can catch it will be the next one to the alter -- Does the groom then toss his garter belt and there's a similar contest between his men? Why does the groom have a garter belt? This seems like something out of the Rocky Horror Picture Show to me. (Though I have always thought the bride ought to toss her panties instead of some dumb bouquet.)

25/11/07 7:42 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Here:

Today, it is usually the Groom who removes and tosses the garter to the unmarried men in attendance, while the Bride tosses her bouquet to the unmarried women. Those that catch either item are said to be the next to marry. In some instances, it is said that they will marry each other.

25/11/07 7:52 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Eh, that sucks. I was totally picturing the groom wearing black lace garters and a halter top under his tux.

25/11/07 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first time I ever saw the garter belt thing was at a wedding in the mid 90s. I'd be happy to see this one die a quiet death.

CCarp

26/11/07 12:59 AM  
Blogger ||| said...

the best part is the cliche swinging stripper music.

26/11/07 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea, I've seen this one too. I thought it was pretty trashy. One time, a 14 yr old caught it. They still made her sit down. Fortunately, the guy only brought it to her knee. Still....yuck.

Will

26/11/07 3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home