Friday, November 02, 2007

Whoopsie

I was enjoying a late-afternoon meal on the patio of a local establishment on a lovely afternoon. As the waiter brought me a refill, he tripped, and the drink spilled onto the table, much of it absorbed by the newspaper I was reading.

Yeesh. I recalled spilling barbecue sauce all over this lady's white dress in my table-waiting days, and I helped him dab up the little mess with extra napkins that he brought.

Not a big deal, and the spill was quickly remedied. But apparently, in these moments of slight social awkwardness, I channel my mother, for what else could I say but, "Hey, these things happen."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say that all the time.

3/11/07 1:04 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Huzzah! I'm not the only one.

But the fact that you, too, are turning into my mother is curious, to say the least.

3/11/07 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad used to say that, but in a tone of voice that made it obvious that he would have preferred to say something stronger but was restraining himself for the benefit of impressionable ears (and to keep my mom from complaining about his swearing). Sometimes he would add "and all the ships at sea."

6/11/07 1:03 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Teo: I've never heard the "ships at sea part". That's so great.

6/11/07 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home