Friday, February 02, 2007

It's only going to make me mad when you tell me what to blog about

I have been contacted by T(h)om via Stanley, with the message, "Let's forward this to Ryan so he can not blog about it. Because he never blogs about anything. Ever."
And because all American males will, without fail, fall for the "dare" or even "double dare" or, as in the flagpole scene in A Christmas Story, the "triple dog dare," I have fallen for this one, and here I am blogging about it:

This is not the first time such a wine-related robbery has occured, and, to me, it's not particularly all that exciting, because the wine bottle in question, a 1959 Petrus, should not be worth $11,000, nor should the whole shebang really be that big of a deal. Someone with a $3,000,000 wine cellar lost a big special bottle? Boo-hoo. Worse wine robberies happen to me, in the comfort of my home, when I leave nice bottles mixed in with the everyday ones, and My Roomate takes one at random when he's going to a dinner party or something, and inevitably it's the nice one, and it makes me sad, but then I realize, T(h)om and Stanley, that while I'm staring at the hole where my $50 bottle used to be, scores of poor and unfortunate peoples are being walked upon, just because you, say, want to buy "exotic" coffee, or plantains, or nice chocolate. And this is the crap you're reading about?

It only fascinates us because we're not used to a bottle of wine being the sole piece of property in a robber's scopes. It's no different that art, though. Or people stealing Beatles demo tapes or original, 1947, unopened packets of cherry Pez.
This line is fucking ridiculous:
“Like chocolate was to the Aztecs, wine has become the ultimate currency,” said Daphne Derven.
This line is spot on:
"An 18-year-old girl was shot point-blank in the head and I received no calls about it,” Sergeant Wade said. “The wine theft? A gazillion. It kind of shows you where people’s values lie."

4 Comments:

Blogger Stanley said...

Apparently the title should be "It's only going to make me blog when you tell me what to blog about."

2/2/07 4:14 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

And anyway, you're acting all indignant, but that news story came from Eekbeat, not t(h)om (unless he sent it separately). Why do you hate women, Ryan?

3/2/07 2:52 PM  
Blogger t(h)om said...

i'm offended, Ryan, that you think i would read a liberal trash rag such as the new york times.

3/2/07 5:28 PM  
Blogger moh said...

so...., do you guys think i should wear the salmon or the red scarf with these earings?



new york times is liberal???
i guess i missed that one...

3/2/07 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home