Thursday, June 14, 2007

Local Fertility


I noticed that someone had tilled two sections of field in Friendship Court (née Garrett Square), and I thought, "That looks like someone's starting a community garden, which would be cool."

Well, how 'bout that:
The Quality Community Council, a local nonprofit organization, has been developing plans for an urban farm near downtown Charlottesville, and has secured land for the project. Such a farm would serve as an educational vehicle for city students, while also providing a source of fresh produce for the community.
The name is a bit hokey ("Friendship Farm"), but otherwise it's a great idea. Maybe I can get roped into weeding or something.

4 Comments:

Blogger LC said...

They have a myspace website. Invite them to invite yourself.

ps I do still read your blog. I was going to comment on the "Self-effacing" entry, particularly about my amazement of people's interest in your beard, but then realized that I'd be contributing to the mania. Shave that thing off!

14/6/07 7:26 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Who would get the money from the sold produce in this situation? They're a non-profit, but do they just recycle the money back into their organization somehow?

15/6/07 10:16 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Reading the article, it seems that profits would go to pay the bills (seeds, machines, the Head Farmer's salary, administrative costs, etc.), and beyond that a lot of the food would be donated to food banks and, I'd imagine, the residents of Friendship Court.

Caveat: that article also suggests they wanted to start planting back in May. So.

15/6/07 10:58 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Nice. Have you heard of the Dave Matthews farm thing? where you can sign up and get fruits/ veggies, and flowers delivered to you door every month? And it's cheaper if you agree to work on the farm once a month or something. I know it's not like this at all, but it made me think of it. If I lived with more people it would be totally worth it!

15/6/07 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home