Friday, July 13, 2007

Legally Lit

Since my bike headlight got stolen, I borrowed one of those I'm-a-miner-type headlamps for my ride to and from the Corner last night. Verdict: very awesome.

The big advantage is having the light move with your head, which seems obvious, but it's very cool in-practice. Example: as I pedalled down Main Street, a car began to inch forward, as if to pull out in front of me . I trained my light on the driver and bobbed my head around sort of, well, maniacally, and car dude slammed on his brakes as if to say, "Dear lord, the final attack of the light-bearing bike monsters is upon us!"

Which is not to say that I'm all about terrorizing motorists with my biking antics. Rather, when I bike, I try to be (1) safely visible and (2) safely assertive. And the headlamp helped me accomplish both better than your standed mounted headlight. I'm definitely going to buy one.

Finally, as a thirty-second snipe to my co-biking friend from last night (and to anyone, really): dude! get a helmet! get lights! what are you thinking?! cville can be dangerous for bikers!

{cross-posted at cVillain}

4 Comments:

Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Where did you get a lamp-helmet to borrow? Do your roommates work in the mines?

13/7/07 8:18 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Well, it's just a strap and a light—no miner-type helmet. My roommated had it in his glove compartment, because, according to him, "you never know when you're going to end up in a cave."

13/7/07 8:27 PM  
Blogger Ben W said...

ATM.

13/7/07 8:44 PM  
Blogger t(h)om said...

bike-monsters!

16/7/07 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home