Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I now know what a "onesie" is

A high school friend recently had a baby, and she has wasted no time engaging in the (new-ish?) ritual of posting her baby's photos on her myspace site. I noticed one of the kid wearing this onesie, and which led me to look at the other available baby garb on cafepress.

By far the weirdest I found was this one:


What the hell is that even supposed to mean? I took it to be some general swipe at the UN, which might make sense, especially if the parents who buy it also buy this one. But now I'm thinking it's some specific UNICEF policy critique popular with the mommy bloggers that I've just missed entirely.

Regardless, I should mention: Potential Future Children of Stanley: I will never make you wear this outfit. Promise.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

As a mother who blogs, I have NO IDEA what that onesie means.

17/10/07 2:56 AM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

It sounds kind of like an anti-abortion or anti-birth-control message, is my guess. I don't really know much about UNICEF besides having collected loose change for them in grade school; but they seem like the kind of organization that would probably encourage family planning in third world countries. So maybe if the putative infant's mommy had "listened to UNICEF" she would have never had the child. Also, you know, black helicopters. Say no more.

17/10/07 9:36 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

I guess the family-planning explanation is plausible. Completely nutso, if that's really the thinking. But plausible.

17/10/07 1:36 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Rats, I posted a long comment and Bloogle ate it. Here's what's going on: the assholes who make that bib are intending it to be worn by children adopted by US couples from Guatemala. UNICEF has raised concerns about the ethics of adoption services in Guatemala; for example see here, or search for Guatemala adoption Unicef for lots of other writeups.

17/10/07 2:34 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Or go here to watch people fighting about a t-shirt with the same text as the bib you are asking about.

17/10/07 2:37 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Ah, yes, that makes sense. NPR did a good piece on Guatemalan adoption a few weeks ago.

This might make the shirt even weirder for me. It's like a label that says, "Here's my baby! I may not know where the wee one came from or under what circumstances! Tee-hee!"

17/10/07 4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's well-known that UNICEF is BAD for babies and children. BAD.

17/10/07 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home