Friday, October 12, 2007

Theriomorphism

A friend boasts an almost shamanistic abillity to classify humans by the animal they most resemble. It's not the first time I've encountered this game. (Indeed, I inevitably get filed under "rat" or "squirrel" in the taxonomy; lamentable, but explicative, perhaps, of the strong emotional reaction I had to Disney's Ratatouille.) Does this classification work for everyone? The friend's abililties seem boundless.

Related: in searching for a title for this post, I (with some much appreciated eekbeat assistance) came upon this fascinating site listing words with a "therio-" root.

(Yeesh: typos galore. Fixed.)

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

See also: that Star Trek episode where everyone devolved into animals for some reason. Except Riker, who turned into a Caveman.

12/10/07 1:24 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Tom: you are nerding up my blog.

I approve.

12/10/07 1:33 PM  
Blogger LC said...

Can one be intertherio?

12/10/07 10:28 PM  
Blogger LC said...

Can one be intertherio?

12/10/07 10:28 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Patience, LC. Maybe wolfson will show up to answer.

12/10/07 10:40 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Give me a call -- I'll be in the therio.

13/10/07 9:52 AM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

(Or: lc is obviously into "therio-".)

13/10/07 10:49 AM  
Blogger bitchphd said...

You know, rat and squirrel are pretty good results: cute, clever, mischevious, entertaining survivor-types. Not lamentable at all.

13/10/07 6:25 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Also: carriers of disease! Trash-eaters!

13/10/07 11:27 PM  
Blogger Will said...

My daughter and I loved RataTouie (Sp?).

Hope the Garlic Fest was fun. Sorry about that.

The Richmond Folk Fest turned out well though.

15/10/07 8:31 AM  
Blogger Lew said...

My friend's roommate does the animal game. I was identified as a racoon (not sure how I feel about it). The animal he sees himself as? a tiger. (this game doesn't seem very fair).

15/10/07 5:58 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Will: glad you had fun. We had a good time at the Garlic Fest, too.

lew: FWIW, I'm not seeing raccoon. But I suck at the game, so.

16/10/07 12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home