Wednesday, February 13, 2008

'allo Gov'nah

How many U.S. governors can you name off the top of your head? Go ahead. Think about it before going on (spoilers below!). I'll wait.

…

…

…

…

…

…

…

…

Done? Okay. See, I was talking to someone from Illinois about something not-at-all-political, and I mentioned something about Blagojevich, much to the other person's surprise. "How do you know who our governor is?" he asked. I explained that I had grown up in Chicago and still had family there, yadda yadda.

But it got me thinking. I probably tend to follow politics more than the average Jane or Joe, but I doubt I could even name half the country's governors. Off the top of my head I got:

  • Blagojevich (obviously)
  • Kaine
  • Richardson
  • Napolitano
  • Spitzer
  • Corzine
  • Schwarzenegger
  • Crist

And that's it. Oh, I remembered that Massachusetts had elected a black governor, but I couldn't remember his name (Deval Patrick), so that doesn't count. And it probably makes me a racist.

So: eight. Out of fifty (not to mention territories; sorry Aníbal Acevedo Vilá! oh, and a happy belated birthday to you). Of course, once I checked a full list of governors, there were several I realized I did know (Sebelius! Duh; Barbour; Jindal; O'Malley—right next door! Strickland; Rendell; Perry).

But even more surprising was the number of executives I'd never heard of. Dave Freudenthal?! Wikipedia doesn't even know what you look like.

Which is all a long way to tell you this has been this site's most boring post to-date. But at least I didn't talk about Valentine's Day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are the ones I could think of offhand:

- Schwarzenegger
- Napolitano
- Richardson
- Perry
- Easley
- Strickland
- Kaine
- Rendell
- Spitzer
- Patrick
- Granholm
- Rell
- Blagojevich
- Sebelius
- Schweitzer
- Bredesen

That's 16. Looking at the list, there are a few others I knew but couldn't remember the names of, and more that I couldn't remember but was actually familiar with at some point.

14/2/08 6:39 PM  
Blogger eekbeat said...

I am pleased that you remember the governor of my beloved home-state.

14/2/08 8:52 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

I totally recognize a lot of those names as being names of governors and even know what states a lot of them are governors of; but I would be hard pressed to name even the governor of my own state off-hand. (I would hem and haw and say "Uh...Corzine?" Which would be correct but spoken in way too uncertain a tone of voice.)

14/2/08 11:08 PM  
Blogger ||| said...

next, Senators!
Go!

18/2/08 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home