Wednesday, February 13, 2008

'allo Gov'nah

How many U.S. governors can you name off the top of your head? Go ahead. Think about it before going on (spoilers below!). I'll wait.

















Done? Okay. See, I was talking to someone from Illinois about something not-at-all-political, and I mentioned something about Blagojevich, much to the other person's surprise. "How do you know who our governor is?" he asked. I explained that I had grown up in Chicago and still had family there, yadda yadda.

But it got me thinking. I probably tend to follow politics more than the average Jane or Joe, but I doubt I could even name half the country's governors. Off the top of my head I got:

  • Blagojevich (obviously)
  • Kaine
  • Richardson
  • Napolitano
  • Spitzer
  • Corzine
  • Schwarzenegger
  • Crist

And that's it. Oh, I remembered that Massachusetts had elected a black governor, but I couldn't remember his name (Deval Patrick), so that doesn't count. And it probably makes me a racist.

So: eight. Out of fifty (not to mention territories; sorry Aníbal Acevedo Vilá! oh, and a happy belated birthday to you). Of course, once I checked a full list of governors, there were several I realized I did know (Sebelius! Duh; Barbour; Jindal; O'Malley—right next door! Strickland; Rendell; Perry).

But even more surprising was the number of executives I'd never heard of. Dave Freudenthal?! Wikipedia doesn't even know what you look like.

Which is all a long way to tell you this has been this site's most boring post to-date. But at least I didn't talk about Valentine's Day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are the ones I could think of offhand:

- Schwarzenegger
- Napolitano
- Richardson
- Perry
- Easley
- Strickland
- Kaine
- Rendell
- Spitzer
- Patrick
- Granholm
- Rell
- Blagojevich
- Sebelius
- Schweitzer
- Bredesen

That's 16. Looking at the list, there are a few others I knew but couldn't remember the names of, and more that I couldn't remember but was actually familiar with at some point.

14/2/08 6:39 PM  
Blogger eekbeat said...

I am pleased that you remember the governor of my beloved home-state.

14/2/08 8:52 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

I totally recognize a lot of those names as being names of governors and even know what states a lot of them are governors of; but I would be hard pressed to name even the governor of my own state off-hand. (I would hem and haw and say "Uh...Corzine?" Which would be correct but spoken in way too uncertain a tone of voice.)

14/2/08 11:08 PM  
Blogger ||| said...

next, Senators!
Go!

18/2/08 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home