Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Things they are a-cooking

So, I read The Pioneer Woman's post about quesadilla-making. Mouth-watering stuff.

It reminded me of a sidedish my mom used to make: sautéed mushrooms. Basically, mushrooms and butter in a pan, sautéed till awesome (you'll know it when you see it).

I left work with a singular focus: make that sidedish, which I did, adding wine at the directive of TPW. It was delicious. And nutritionally worthless. But whatever.

> > >

Everyone is sick. My roommate (see here: he had a fever of 102.7°!). Three of my co-workers. I feel the sick closing in around me and I've nothing but my buttery-mushroom-infused immune system to keep it at bay. Fight the good fight, li'l white blood cells.

(Also: thanks to Dr. B. for offering good fever-breaking advice and keeping me calm because HOLY CRAP MY ROOOMMATE'S BRAIN IS BOILING!)

> > >

I've decided I need a vacation. I haven't had a true one in years. At least since 2004. It's time. And I will go. Somewhere. Despite my utter lack of PTO and Comp time. Somehow. Dammit.

6 Comments:

Blogger Stanley said...

I keep discovering more and more familiar songs by Foreigner. I'm not sure how I feel about this development in my life.

30/1/08 10:02 AM  
Blogger eekbeat said...

I've been looking at photos of food all day. I think this means you should make me some real food STAT.

30/1/08 12:56 PM  
Blogger LC said...

My mom used to make that same side dish...try adding a sprinkle of worsheshire (sp?) sauce and parsley the last minute you cook it. Yum.

30/1/08 6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude! tour is vacation!

when i put those ice packs underneath my armpits, i thought you were just trying to fuck with me(seeing as how you were taking pictures and everything), but i guess it really worked...

30/1/08 7:04 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

LC: Sounds interesting. I'm not a big fan of worcestershire, but I won't impugn the culinary habits of the average Appalachian. Your comment reminded me of something I meant to include in the post:

Ace Mith's grandma makes a version of this dish, except:

(1) hers includes sautéed garlic, too;
(2) hers is served over toast;
(3) hers is served with a dollop of sour cream;
(4) hers is a breakfast item.

So good!

>>>>

dijon (that's you, right?): we may have been wrong about the ice packs. Co-worker says that wasn't a good idea. Oh well. You didn't die.

30/1/08 8:49 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

you're making me very hungry. now I have to go home and sautee some garlic and mushrooms.

go to Prague!

11/2/08 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home