Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bot, Bot, Botulism

I hurt my back today at the gym. (Yes. The gym. I know. Let us not talk about it.)

And I've been trying to write more over here, at the request of the dear departed lilith (who at some point construed my blogging as funny or insightful or something; no worries; I'm sure history will prove her wrong).

So I've been getting light on content over on this here weblog. My apologies, lovely readers. But I'm sore! And busy! And, apparently, whiny!

In lieu of actual content, here's a text-message exchange from today that made me laugh, featuring sometime commenter blinktmb:

blinktmb: Was it you who told me about someone you know getting botchulism [sic]?
[I think she was thinking of this comment thread, which I had mentioned.]
Me: No why?
blinktmb: Dammit. Cant you get it from garlic or oil sitting out?
Me: Garlic in oil for an extended time.
blinktmb:I wonder if it has to be a ton of garlic, or if even a tiny piece of oil could do it
Me: Trying to make botulism?
blinktmb: Haha oh god, im still laughing. [boyfriend] is looking at me like im crazy
With inspiration from this new and hilarious site.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Thanks for highlighting the fact that I misspelled "botulism." I wouldn't have minded if you took some liberty with that one :)

By the way, if anyone is curious, you can indeed get botulism from garlic (or herbs) infused in oil..apparently the botulinum toxin can be present in garlic, but can only be produced in the absence of oxygen, so if it's covered in oil, there's no oxygen, and BAM--botulism. possibly. But if you refrigerate the oil it's safe for up to a week (probably).

a little more frightening--you can also get it from a potato that has been baked in aluminum foil, if not eaten right away or refrigerated. sweet!

thank you, wikipedia.

26/3/08 1:45 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Andrea/blinktmb: pick a handle already!

Oh, and thanks for the info.

30/3/08 11:14 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

SORRY! I guess at work I'm automatically logged in as Andrea, and at home I'm BlinkTMB.

31/3/08 12:09 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

So I guess we will now know when you're commenting from work. (Hear that, Andrea's employer?!)

/I keed, I keed

31/3/08 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home