Thursday, May 08, 2008

Anyway, I didn't die, so it's fine.

The worst storm I ever drove through was on I-64 between Charlottesville and Richmond. I was driving home from college. (Yes, Beth, this is the day from which originates the infamous "please don't go!" story. Yes, we're still assholes for laughing about it.)

There was like a foot of snow on the road, and visibility was maybe 15 feet. It took three-and-a-half hours to complete what's normally a one-hour trip. Scary as all hell, too.

The second worst storm was here tonight, driving home from work. Sheet after sheet of thick, nasty rain. There was standing water at the top of hills. I couldn't even make out the lanes at one point. And hydroplaning? Yes, I did that a lot, and it was seriously stressful.

And yes, I'm blogging about weather. Suck it.

* * *

My current NetFlix movie is The Singing Detective, and it seems pretty good. But I can't for the life of me remember why I added it to my queue, oh these many months ago.

I think it may have been a recommendation of an Unfogged commenter, but I can't find the reference. It's driving me a bit bonkers. And this happens quite frequently.

Hence! An idea: NetFlix should let you enter a little note to yourself (e.g., "recommended by Bayleaf, for the soundtrack"), and then they'd include the note with the delivery of the movie. Or, to be more eco-friendly, in an e-mail.

Yes. I know. I'm brilliant.

* * *

Today at work, I IMed a co-worker about something. Then when I confirmed the thing, I said "Cool, just chicken."

And really, I think Just Chicken would be a cool band name. You could have a logo with a chicken dressed up like Lady Justice. Which, in my demented mind, is funny.

* * *

It occurred to me today that I'm making enough money from gigging that I can probably go to three-quarter time at work. Or maybe even half-time. I can't describe how much this would improve my grumpy demeanor. And I'm seriously considering it (if they'll let me, of course).

Downside: I might lose all or some health care. Goddamn stupid-ass employer-based health-care system. I shake my fist at you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't describe how much this would improve my grumpy demeanor.

I can't describe how much better my mood has been since I gave my last final exam Tuesday morning. I have just been walking on sunshine. Cut back on your hours! Everyone should work less!

9/5/08 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...PleaseDon'tGo.

I totally thought PleaseDon'tGo got married due to mistaking a high school friend that I also haven't thought about for years that has the same name with her. That last sentence was confusing.

9/5/08 4:09 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Frog gigging? For restaurants?

12/5/08 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home