Monday, June 19, 2006

16 inches!

I've long been perplexed by the quizzical reaction of Virginians when I speak of 16-inch softball. But this WaPo article helped clear things up. I had no idea this game's origins were in Chicago.

The very fact that there are "saloon teams" rightly suggests the bowling-like atmosphere surrounding the game (except there can be beer and running).

Resolved: we will import this game to Charlottesville.

I'll have the balls*.

Will you ?

*(No, really. I'll import them!)

2 Comments:

Blogger AnneChe said...

Wow Stanley! Them's mighty big balls.

And Haitian, no less.

I wonder how Haiti of all places ended up making these balls? Do you think some guy from Chicago went down there and was like, "Hey, you guys need industry? Well I need BALLS!"

20/6/06 9:09 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Well, anneth, this guy seems to have his finger on the pulse of, um, Haitian balls [scroll down a bit].

Perhaps we should ask him.

20/6/06 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home