Friday, July 27, 2007

Una receta fácil

A friend passed along an exceedingly easy (and delicious) salsa recipe:
  • One 15 oz. can tomato sauce (he specifies Hunt's™, but I'm not sure it matters)
  • 1 small white onion (or half a large onion), diced
  • Jalapeños to suit (he says ten, but that's just way too hot; I tried seven—too hot for me; tonight's batch had three)
  • Pinch of salt & pepper
The key step seems to be boiling the jalapeños for fifteen minutes (leave the tops on; just clip off the vine part) and then blending/food-processing them into a purée. Combine ingredients in a bowl, stir, and chill overnight. Serve with margaritas in my kitchen. Because I could go for that.

{Note: recipe can of course be tweaked. I added fresh cilantro to the first go-round. Also: cumin. I might try garlic next time. 'Cause I'm crazy like that.}

4 Comments:

Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

not sure it matters

Tomato sauce: definitely fungible. Specifying a brand in the recipe is marketing tactics, like calling for "3 cups C & H Pure Cane Sugar". Of course there are better and worse qualities of tomato sauce, with "homemade" at the top of the spectrum; but there is no difference in kind.

28/7/07 7:08 AM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Also, allow me just to say: salsa cruda beats the pants off tomato sauce-based salsas in most blind taste tests.

28/7/07 7:09 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Oh, absolutely. I posted a recipe for what I think qualifies for salsa cruda here. What I like about the most recent recipe is (a) it's cheap, (b) it's easy, (c) it's quick, and (d) it keeps for much longer than salsa cruda

What I didn't say in the post was: I think I'm going to try to avoid buying salsa, just keeping this cheap-easy-quick version around as the house salsa. Special occasions will still inspire crudas.

28/7/07 3:38 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Oh yeah, I remember that recipe...

I just had a sandwich made extraordinarily piquant by the over-application of this spicy, spicy mustard; and while I was eating it I was thinking: "Mustard... Jalapeño... black pepper... what is the common attribute? They taste different from each other but they all taste spicy. Is there some chemical property that makes molecules spicy like high pH -> sour, low pH -> bitter? Horseradish is spicy too but in basically the same way as mustard. What about ginger? It's a little bit spicy." That's what I was thinking. Then I thought some more about high pH and how hydrochloric acid destroys things by trading electrons with them, and how it would really be more appropriate for acid to taste spicy than sour.

29/7/07 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home