Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Poll Lock

The departure of cable from our home has been both a blessing and curse. On the one hand, I'm reading more [ed. no he's not], but on the other hand, I've had more of a chance to catch up on my time-wasting: Netflix queue (holy shit! The Wire!) and comment threads about baby names.

Occasionally, however, the TV finds itself on, sucking in those wondrous and free over-the-air HD* signals. And then I find something as delightfully curious as CBS's Power of Ten.

A seeming cross between watching Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and reading Zogby.com**—or really, a hybrid Family Feud—the show features Drew Carey asking contestants to guess "what percentage of Americans [are defined by quality X]".

So far I learned that, of my fellow countrypeople:

  • 8% thinks Michael Jackson is white

  • 14% owns a confederate flag

  • 35% thinks a person raised by gay parents has a greater chance of being gay

  • 22% thinks the upcoming $0.70 hike in the minimum wage will make a difference in their lifestyle

  • 46% owns a shirt that says "USA" or "America" on the front

Fascinating, right? I know.






*Oh, wait, local CBS/ABC/Fox affiliates: where you at, dogs? I want my 1080i!

**I can't actually confirm where the poll results come from, but this wikipedia article suggests surveys from Family Feud and Card Sharks,

11 Comments:

Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Poll Lock

Jackson you mean?

13/9/07 12:59 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

No, not really. But if it works for you, run with it.

13/9/07 2:49 PM  
Blogger AnneChe said...

The Wire is amazing.

13/9/07 7:39 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Hear Hear!

13/9/07 8:13 PM  
Blogger t(h)om said...

there was a piece about these new game shows on NPR Marketplace yesterday.

they played a clip of "smarter than a 5th grader"

The question was, "bobby sits on joey's shoulders. they are 2 and a half yards high. how tall are they in feet."

and the dude got it WRONG.

so, i'm not surprised by some of the poll results you listed.

14/9/07 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'm supposed to love The Wire, but how long is it supposed to take to grab hold? I've seen the first three episodes.

14/9/07 11:30 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

heebie!

I liked it right away. I think eekbeat (the S.O.) has taken to it more slowly but likes it now.

Regardless: in the end times, you'll be forgiven if it's not your bag.

14/9/07 11:38 AM  
Blogger Will said...

That was the same show that said 12 percent of women wear thongs?

Our office debated the accuracy of that claim at lunch.

15/9/07 3:40 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

will, at lunch: "You mean I'm the only one here wearing a thong? Weird. I thought I was in the majority."

15/9/07 9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stanlie!

It's true, I'm old Lurky McLurkenstein. I particularly liked the video of your friend's 21rst Birthday Banana Shot.

18/9/07 10:09 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

The 21st-birthday banana shot: all the rage on the east coast. Tell your students, heebie!

18/9/07 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home