Thursday, August 23, 2007

Also: the Fiendz are a punk band from Jersey, so I don't know what I was thinking

I just typed the word "feen" in an e-mail (about a song, not about drugs, you narc) and thought, "No, that can't be right. I've never even seen that word before." Googling revealed that the word I wanted was "fiend." Right. Of course. Where the hell did I get "feen"? Pronunciation?

According to this snotty Urban Dictionary entry:
Used by people who listen to other people who have no idea what they are talking about. At some point I assume somewhere between Generation X and Y someone overheard a word being used and misinterpred it. Now legions of people born after 1977 are saying the word Feen. The word used which they misheard is Fiend defined as a person who is craving something in a maniacle way.

improper use of said non-word:

I'm feening some weed!

propper* use:

I'm fiending some weed!

Yeah, I guess it's just a pronunciation thing. Generation Awesome, indeed.


*[my emphasis] Hartman's Law confirmed again.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

That is a very, very loose usage of the term "propper".

23/8/07 7:41 PM  
Blogger eekbeat said...

The misspelling of maniacal reminds me of this poem by William Blake, especially the "mind-forged manacles" line:

I wander thro' each charter'd street,
Near where the charter'd Thames does flow,
And mark in every face I meet
Marks of weakness, marks of woe.
In every cry of every man,
In every Infant's cry of fear,
In every voice, in every ban,
The mind-forg'd manacles I hear.
How the Chimney-sweeper's cry
Every blackning Church appalls;
And the hapless Soldier's sigh
Runs in blood down Palace walls.
But most thro' midnight streets I hear
How the youthful Harlot's curse
Blasts the new-born Infant's tear,
And blights with plagues the Marriage hearse.

24/8/07 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

10/11/08 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home