Friday, October 26, 2007

Hot-Air Emissions

Jacob Slichter's So You Wanna Be A Rock & Roll Star is a great read. I particularly enjoyed his takedown of A&R types, the folks whose job it is to emit a steady stream of smoke; destination: your ass.

For instance! I was recently informed that, with just a bit of gumption, I could soon be opening for Maroon 5—well, not their US tour, but probably their European tour. Hey! Great!'Twill dovetail nicely with my plans to summer in Monaco. Thanks A&R guy!

But wait. With all this sure-to-come fame and fortune, there must exist some zen-like approach, a way to maintain one's focus and clarity.

Aha! Quoth other A&R guy:

"If you can sees it, you can seize it.
Duly noted. Will commence "seesing" it forthwith.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Motto of the whisky-drinking hot-air-balloon pilot:
If you can ryes it, you can rise it.

Weak.

26/10/07 3:29 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Aha! I was on trial, I pled guilty because I wanted to make the judge happy:
If you can pleas it, you can please it.

26/10/07 3:31 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Gadzooks, I've created a monster.

26/10/07 3:35 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Not to worry -- as the guy who was mesmerized by Freud said to Pilate, "If you can Sigmund's-eyes it, you can stigmatize it."

26/10/07 3:56 PM  
Blogger Will said...

when is the Richmond tour stop?

27/10/07 2:00 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Playing at VCU on Halloween, actually. But I think that's at a dining hall or something.

Also in Richmond with the other band on 11/16, though I'm not sure exactly where (some sushi place, perhaps?).

29/10/07 9:32 AM  
Blogger baconfat said...

a little late to the party, but i would also recommend Frederic Dannen's Hit Men as an excellent behind-the-scenes look at the music biz over the past half-century (up until about 1990).

5/11/07 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home