Friday, August 15, 2008

Dude. DUDE. Seriously.

One workday and two gigs away from vacating my current climes for ones much more tropic and (one hopes not too much) hurricane-prone, I thought: I should share a story with you. And it's a story you'll get.

We were playing a frat gig at a small, private school. As we loaded in, the air hung heavy with anticipation and pot smoke. Dudes wandered through, assessing our progress and more:

Dude: [to me] Hey! What do you play? The BEARD?!
Me:

An awkward silence followed. He then queried guitarist Boobers:

Dude: And what do you play? THE SURFBOARD?!?!!??!
Boobers: Uh....

It's not that I don't think Boobers looks like he could conceivably command a surfboard. It's more that WHY ARE YOU SO HIGH AND TALKING TO US, DUDE. That's pretty much how I felt. Which is probably unfair.

4 Comments:

Blogger ||| said...

is smoking up common in fraternities now? when i was in school, it was generally frowned upon, except at maybe 1 house [rocket party].

oh the times they have changed. but Stanley has not; he still despises potheads.

15/8/08 10:44 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

have fun in warmer climes

15/8/08 4:25 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I, for one, think the beard comment was quite funny :)

18/8/08 10:17 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

I'm trying to picture Stanley electifying his beard and hooking it up to the amplifier. How would he play it? With a comb or a brush I'm guessing -- alternately he could stretch it out and pluck the strands, but that seems like it would be painful. Maybe he could get it to function like a Theremine, and make trippy sounds just by waving his hands at it.

19/8/08 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home