Friday, April 27, 2007

Joint

I sat down at my drums last night, ready to play a three-hour gig, and I noticed a slight pain in my left wrist. I was worried, having experienced some symptoms of CTS about a year ago (I changed my typing technique and the problem went away). As the gig went on, the pain dissolved, and my wrist felt completely fine by the end of the night. But this morning, my pinky and ring fingers were numb, and the numbness has continued into the afternoon.

Do I give up typing? Give up drumming? Neither of these outcomes is desirable. Ack.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Man oh man, and here I was expecting a marihuana post.

27/4/07 3:22 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

(And sorry to hear about your wrist pain! I get that sometimes -- lots of typing at my workplace -- and it seems to go away if I concentrate on stretching my hands and fingers a couple of times a day.)

27/4/07 3:24 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Thanks. Stretching does seem to be helping. And to fulfill your first-comment wishes, perhaps I can get a prescription for medicinal. Like, for the pain, man...

27/4/07 6:05 PM  
Blogger bitchphd said...

Guess that grad-school-or-drumming decision might be making itself.

28/4/07 12:25 AM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

I guess your title would also be appropriate for a going-to-jail post -- you have not had any trouble with the law lately have you?

28/4/07 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sympathies. I've had some wrist trouble that -- as a computer programmer and guitarist -- gave me the willies. I hope it turns out to be nothing. Any chance of getting an orthopedist to take a look at it?

28/4/07 9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh. I meant, I hope YOUR wrist issues turn out to be nothing. Didn't mean to sound like I was making this all about me me me. My wrists are fine now.

28/4/07 9:19 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

mrh: no worries. Two gigs and one work day on, and the pain seems to have subsided, thanks to TMK by the by. I think stretching works in the short term. Long-term, I'm gonna ask the doc.

29/4/07 11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home