Wednesday, September 26, 2007

CoffeeDude

Have I told you about CoffeeDude? I believe I have not. CoffeeDude works at the stellar coffeehouse on my way to work. He is extremely peppy and friendly—as much of an eye-opener to talk to as the java he's slinging, but not in any sort of annoying way. In fact, my conversations with him are a downright enjoyable part of most otherwise groggy mornings.

But today, friends, I think I let CoffeeDude down. See, one of his trademarks is to proudly tell you which blend they're serving on a given day. "Okay, large coffee? Great! And today it's the Mexico Chiapas shade-grown, hand-picked-by-unionized-squirrels!"

I really appreciate this information, because in theory, I'm noticing the subtle differences among the roasts, so that, in some distant future, I stock up on The One True Blend™, you know, for when the end times come or whatever. (In practice, I swill the coffee feverishly and curse the tractor behind which I'm stuck as a trudge to work on Route 20.) Which brings us to this morning:

CoffeeDude: Hey! How are you today?!
Me: Oh, running late, actually. You?
CoffeeDude: Great, man! Just a large coffee today?!
Me: Yep.
CoffeeDude: And it's the Texas Medicine blend today!
Me:
CoffeeDude: Do you get the reference?!
Me: Uh… [noting, faintly, music playing in the background]
CoffeeDude: You know:
Now the rainman gave me two cures,
Then he said, "Jump right in."
The one was Texas medicine,
The other was just railroad gin.*

Me: Uh, rain...man? Huh?
CoffeeDude: Bob Dylan!
Me: Oh. Well, I'd be lying if I said I had listened to a lot of Dylan, but now that I've noticed you're playing his music, I probably should've guessed him.
CoffeeDude: Yeah! He's coming to town! And that's why I'm off work till Monday after today!
Me:Oh. Cool. Have fun, man.

I feel like I disappointed CoffeeDude, although his always pleasant demeanor showed not a sign of it. CoffeeDude: I'm sorry! I hadn't even had coffee yet.


*He's so peppy, he blockquotes when speaking.

17 Comments:

Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

That's a pretty great Dylan song, it is "Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" which even if you don't listen to much Dylan, you ought to take an idle listen to sometime. (It is on Blonde on Blonde.) But then I would say that, wouldn't I?

26/9/07 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a former Coffee Dude myself, I assure you, you didn't disappoint. Fact of the matter is, when you work the morning shift, you're accustomed to the perpetual confusion of the uncaffeinated.

26/9/07 1:09 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

you worry too much. i'm SURE he still loves you.

26/9/07 2:24 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Ever go to Shenandoah Joe?

27/9/07 10:44 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

I've never visited their store, Will, but a sandwich shop where I worked during college served one of their blends. Diagnosis: delicious. Currently, though, I'm a slave to the House of Mud.

27/9/07 1:17 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

House of Mud

Hmm... is Matt W an employee there? Thought he was up in New England somewhere.

27/9/07 1:19 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Actually, I was euphemistically referring to this fine establishment.

27/9/07 1:25 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Looks like a fine establishment Stanley. A buddy of mine owns Shenandoah Joe.

27/9/07 1:48 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

is this buddy a guy who used to caoch the UVA diving team? My boyfriend used to swim for UVA and I think I remember him saying the diving coach quit to focus more on his business (Shenandoah Joe).

27/9/07 2:02 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Yes. It is. When did your bf swim there? (I swam there too....long, long ago.)

27/9/07 5:08 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

He swam 2001-2005..Michael Raab. Do you know him?

27/9/07 6:05 PM  
Blogger Will said...

By reputation. He was very fast. We've probably met at one of the functions. I'm an 89 grad.

27/9/07 9:21 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Small world, will: you and blink are both Trojans and Wahoos, too.

27/9/07 11:03 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Oh, so cool! What were your events?

And Stanley, you don't mean a Trojan from MHS, do you??

28/9/07 9:47 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Yep, that kind of Trojan. (Getcher mind outta the gutter, kid.)

28/9/07 9:49 AM  
Blogger Will said...

"Do it with a trojan."

I swam the 500/1000, then hurt my shoulder my third year.

28/9/07 11:11 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Stanley,

All I meant was that many high schools could have the Trojan as their mascot :)

30/9/07 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home