Thursday, August 03, 2006

Something about plans and mice and men

I've been having trouble sleeping. Sometimes at night. Sometimes in the morning. Sometimes both. But my will to lie in bed is strong, so there I remain regardless.

Last night, after Johnny Blaze and Colem and Luisa left, I took to my lying. And I lay. And lay. And lay. And then---epiphany!

Now, on the front porch, I lay on my stomach, scrawling down a list of names. Yes! I would make a list! Of writers, whose works I wished I had read, but alack, I hadn't. The plan was taking shape.

The plan is to e-mail a few select professors---still in town, conveniently---with this list, along with a request that they help me sort through thorny questions and ideas and other works I should check out, etc. (It's a syllabus of sorts, for the post-undergrad me.) I'll read and write (to the profs, to friends, to myself), and then, I'll apply to grad schools with a more-solid footing.

See? Genius! I'm smart still. Says so right up there.

Bonus points: when you stay up late drinking Puh-BeeR and scratching at pieces of paper, you wake up too late to go to the gym, and avoid this sort of wankery. If only the roomie would take a few lessons from me . . .

7 Comments:

Blogger Sebastian said...

I think a key point to your post-undergrad plan should be to curb your now excesive use of the word alack.

3/8/06 9:40 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

This from a person whose very existence is in-question...

But yeah, you're probably right. It's not so charming when I use it every single fucking time.

3/8/06 10:07 AM  
Blogger Sebastian said...

hey, bob novak called. he needs his unnamed source back.

3/8/06 10:45 AM  
Blogger Stanley said...

I'm unable to comment, as there is an ongoing investigation.

I will say: when the troops get up, I'll get down.

3/8/06 11:02 AM  
Blogger Lew said...

I, too, have been having trouble sleeping, but instead of reading all the great works ever written, I have decided to just join blogspot. Alas (is always an option for varying your use of "alack"), I don't even know how to make links, and your roommate the Hater has been of little help.

3/8/06 4:05 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

I usually use "alas," reserving "alack" for special occasions. The height of melodrama: "alas and alack" together. sebastian's calling me out because I've been upping the "alack" dosage lately. He's probably right...this time.

To post a link, you have to use html:

Desired Link Text Goes Here

3/8/06 5:15 PM  
Blogger Stanley said...

Whoops, let me try that again:

<a href="URL Goes In Here">Desired Link Text Goes Here</a>

3/8/06 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home